Children will do all kinds of things on a dare. One Florida eight-year-old did something most people would find unthinkable — and it cost her life.
According to the Palm Beach Post, Ki’ari Pope was dared to drink boiling water through a straw by her cousin in March after reportedly seeing a YouTube video of someone supposedly doing so.
Afterward, she was treated with an emergency tracheostomy to remove scar tissue on her windpipe; she was left unable to speak and suffered from chronic breathing problems.
On Sunday night, she motioned to her mother’s boyfriend she was having trouble breathing; she died in the hospital a short time later. The Florida Department of Children and Families has opened an investigation into Ki’ari’s family following her death.
Please, please, PLEASE stay safe out there!
[Image via GoFundMe.]